One of the rules of Ultimate is the Captain’s Clause which states:
Allows two teams to play the game under any variation of the rules that they wish, as long as they agree on it prior to the game.
There are a number of exceptions in MZU Leagues, Captains cannot make agreements that change the following:
- Team/gender composition
- Any rule which impacts the safety of the players/teams
- Players serving a suspension
- Players involved in physical alterations
- Player eligibility (subs, age, etc…)
- Game length and end time
New for 2018 – Weather Related Timeout
- If prior to the start of a game, the weather is deemed to be a potential issue for some players or result in series of long points (e.g., extreme temperatures, gale force winds, etc.), Captains can agree that if a point lasts in excess of 20 minutes a weather timeout will be called, and they can decide whether or not substitutions will be allowed during this timeout.