Often times teams will require substitutes in order to have enough players to field a game. A substitute player must meet the following criteria:
- Players MUST be registered as a substitute player or be already registered for the current league in which they are subbing;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Not be suspended from MZU or any other UNL leagues;
- Not have already subbed in the maximum number of games allowed during current season.
Captains and Subbing
- Captains must communicate before games regarding subs
- The opposing captain has to be aware of and agree to the proposed sub
- At a minimum, this conversation should occur during the pre-game Captains discussion. However, the more notice you can give, the better. Emailing the other captain 48 hours ahead of game time, would be the preferred option
- Captains should ensure that players are eligible, the Captains Clause can not be used to circumvent eligibility/subbing rules.
- If players participate in a game where they are not an eligible sub, the game will be defaulted.
Captains MUST record subs post-game, failure to do this may result in penalty. MZU is continually trying to improve subbing policies and captains’ cooperation is greatly appreciated.
- Registered Player is one who has registered for the current league and is on the roster of a team playing in the current league.
- Unregistered Player is one who has not registered for the current league and is not on the roster of a team playing in the current league.
Regular Seasons Subbing Rules:
- Registered Players can sub a MAXIMUM OF TWO games per season.
- Unregistered Players can sub in a maximum number of games equal to the number of weeks in a season divided by two (round up if uneven).
- There is NO FEE to sub.
- Players can sub with multiple teams.
- Players can sub multiple games on the same night (each game counts towards the total number of allowed games).
- Subs should be made in accordance with Spirit of the Game
- The subbing player should not greatly influence the outcome of the game.
- Should the substitute player or captains determine that the sub outclasses the level at which they are playing, the sub should adjust accordingly to match the game play.
- When can a team secure a sub?
- Hat Leagues – Subs can only be used in the case of an injured or missing player.
- BIY Leagues – Subs can be used even without a missing player.
- Playoff – See Playoff Subbing rules below
Playoff Subbing Rules:
- Registered Players CANNOT sub in a playoff game.
- Unregistered Players can sub ONE PLAYOFF GAME (which counts towards the total number of allowed games).
- Teams are only allowed to have subs in playoffs so they have 5 of either gender in 7v7 leagues or 4 of each gender in 5v5 leagues.
- All other subbing eligibility rules still apply (e.g.: equal or lesser playing level, agreement among captains prior to game)
[Updated June 2017 to allow registered players to sub within a league; zuluru profile required.]