COVID-19 Return to Play Guidelines
The provincial government, Sport NL, and Ultimate NL all worked together to create guidelines for sports to return to play in Alert Level 2. Here are the guidelines that apply to Ultimate:
Please review these documents, as all players will be required to sign a release of liability and declaration of compliance, stating that they’ve read and understand these documents.
Here is a note on some of the guidelines that apply specifically to our league.
1. Sign applicable waivers and pay for your Ultimate NL membership.
2. Do not come to a game if feeling sick or unwell, and fill out the province’s online self assessment before each game.
3. Only carpool with players from your own bubble.
4. Arrive at the field no earlier than 15 minutes before your game.
5. Practice physical distancing (2m) on the sidelines at all time.
6. Bring your own hand sanitizer to sanitize your hands before games.
7. If you bring a disc, clean your disc before use.
8. Refrain from touching your face.
9. High fives, handshakes, team huddles, spitting/nasal clearing and spirit circles are not permitted.
10. Do not share food, water, athletic aids (foam rollers), etc.
11. No socializing/loitering at the field after your game.
12. Players who have travelled outside of Newfoundland and Labrador are expected to adhere to the applicable isolation period before returning to play in ultimate activities (please refer to public health guidelines).
1. Only pick up subs that have signed the applicable waivers, and that have paid for their Ultimate NL membership.
2. Ensure that only the co-captains handle equipment (cones, scoreboard etc). If there are painted lines at a field, do not set up cones.
3. Record your team’s attendance at the game to assist with contact tracing if needed (tracking sheet will be provided before first game).
Organizers will have the right to refuse any player from an activity/event if they believe that a player is jeopardizing the health and safety of other players in attendance. Some situations
include, but are not limited to:
• A player exhibiting symptoms that could be attributed to COVID-19.
• A player expresses that they might have been exposed to a case of community spread.
• A player expresses that they did not pass the online self assessment.
Ultimate was listed as a “moderate potential and brief contact sport” under Alert Level 2. This means that we’re allowed to return to game play, with a couple differences. By signing up for a league, you are agreeing to a certain level of risk. Although physical distancing of 2m is recommended at all times, we realize that at points, a player might enter another player’s “bubble.” Here’s some things that we’re changing/recommending to address this:
– The “disc space” rule will be changed so that the player marking the person with the disc cannot be within 2m of that player. If you have the disc, call “disc space” if your defender comes within 2m.
– Players and spectators must maintain physical distancing on the sidelines at all times.
– On defense, try to mark the same player throughout the game. Ten contacts with one other player is better than 1 contact with 10 different players.
– Instead of the defensive player tapping the disc when ready, the offensive player can ask if they’re ready, then tap the ground with the disc to begin.
– Sanitize the disc as much as possible.
– This list might continue to be updated as suggestions come in from members.
Techniplex Measures and Guidelines: http://avalonsports.ca/2020/09/16/techniplex-covid-19-requirements/
Please bear with us as we navigate this return to play. Feel free to reach out to email@example.com with any questions or concerns!