Here is your 2013 Capital Subaru Playoff Structure – all going down on Saturday, August 24th at Fieldian’s and Lower Ayre.
There will be 4 playoff divisions:
- Top 4 teams play for Flaherty Cup (Division 1)
- Teams 5-12 play for Division 2 Title
- Teams 13-20 play for Division 3 Title
- Teams 21-25 play for Division 4 Title
– All teams get 2 guaranteed games, some will have 3 depending on performance
– For Division 1 – 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 with winners playing each other for championship and losers playing for 3rd place.
– For Divisions 2 & 3 – 8 team single elimination bracket with losers playing consolation games
– For Division 4 – Teams 24 and 25 play a play-in game (likely first game of day) to form a 4 team bracket just like Division 1. The loser of the play-in will play the one of the losers of the semifinal round to ensure they get their 2nd game.
I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!!
Q: How did you guys decide the structure?
A: Our League Committee sits down together and looks at all the factors in play. These include ensuring everyone gets 2 games, level of competition, scheduling, field availability, avoiding back-to-back games, avoiding too many games in the day – and the big one that we’ve heard you loud and clear over – ensuring playoffs take place in one day. The Committee discussed a number of scenarios, and then finally put forward a recommendation to the Board. Then, this gets put to the entire Board for a vote for approval.
Q: At the end of the Regular Season, do teams move up/down a tier.
A: Yes. There will be one more movement at the end of this round.
Q: How many teams do we have this year?
A: We have 25 of 26 teams playing in the playoffs this year!
Q: I sent in some feedback, did you take it into consideration?
A: Yes! And it was great to hear all the ideas/suggestions from the membership… on a few topics, the feedback was split right down the middle. It was great to see people so passionate! The League Committee used all this feedback to decide the structure.
Q: Why did you separate Div 1 and Div 4 into smaller groups?
A: This is never an easy decision, as we know people have a lot of opinions on it. In the end, it came down to two things… it provided the most number of teams with a level of competition that more closely aligned with their skill level and the level they have faced all year. And, second, it avoided a system of numerous bys in various divisions. This ensured a smoother and easier playoff day for all involved.
Q: So, who is the overall winner?
A: Well, using our ladder structure, the top team in our league will be the overall winner and take home the Flaherty Cup. However, we’ll also have some fun trophies for Divisions 2,3 and 4.
Q: How awesome is playoff day going to be?
A: So. Awesome.
Q: If my team loses a game, are we done?
A: If you lose your first game, you are out of contention for the trophy of your respective division; however, you will get to play again in a consolation game! Everyone is guaranteed at least 2 games!
Q: I want to watch the finals, will you be posting the schedule?
A: Stay tuned to our website to get the full playoff details/schedules!